Since making these Buffalo Wings, we officially have a “Wings Night” at my house. If they’re good enough to become a staple on our menu board, trust me that they’re good. I don’t think I can exactly call these Oven-Cooked Crispy Buffalo Wings healthy, but they aren’t deep-fried. So if you’re looking for a healthier version of your favourite treat meal, these are for you. A trick using baking powder means these wings go super crispy even when just cooked in the oven.
I recommend Frank’s Red-Hot sauce to cook these wings. A hot sauce made from cayenne peppers, it’s firey and delicious, and it’s what I prefer. But you can use whatever hot sauce you have. The star aspect of these wings is their usually elusive crispiness. You could smother them in whatever sauce you like – BBQ, Nando’s varieties – anything! But I do love a good buffalo sauce. Serve with blue cheese dressing, and cool down with my Healthy Homemade Coleslaw. Delicious. If you think so too, give this recipe a go!
Oven-Cooked Crispy Buffalo Wings
- 24 chicken wings
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- pinch black pepper
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
For the sauce
- ½ cup unsalted butter (melted)
- 1 cup Frank's hot sauce
- 3 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 230°C.
- In a bowl, add the chicken wings, flour, baking powder, cayenne, salt and garlic powder. Toss to coat the chicken.
- Arrange on a wire rack and place in the middle of the oven. Bake for 25 minutes, then take them out and turn them over. Bake for a further 20 minutes.
- Five minutes or so before the chicken is ready, make the sauce. Melt the butter in a pan, add the hot sauce and honey. Heat until the mixture simmers.
- Take the chicken out of the oven and place in a dish, and pour the sauce over. Serve with blue cheese dressing.
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredients
Coat the wings in the baking powder, garlic salt and cayenne
Add to a baking tray
Melt the butter in a pan and add the hot sauce
Add the honey and stir on a medium heat for a few minutes
After 25 minutes, turn the wings over
Cook for another 20 minutes, then take out
Drizzle the sauce over the wings
Toss to coat all the wings
Serve with coleslaw and blue cheese dressing