Another one of my beloved Abel and Cole salad recipes! This Tahini Roasted Cauliflower salad is absolutely delicious. Once again the recipe creators at Abel and Cole have spun together a beautiful mix of flavours that works so well, I wonder how no one has done it before.
The nutty tahini flavour perfectly balances with the earthy cauliflower and carrots, with pockets of sweetness from the chopped dates. Bulked out with a little bulgar wheat and plenty of baby spinach. Like with all the Abel and Cole salads, the stars are the vegetables, with the other carbs like the bulgar wheat adding to the dish rather than being the main ingredient. I think this makes the salad so much tastier as you can really get a sense of all the flavour combinations, but you will have some substance to your meal as well. You can replace the bulgar wheat with couscous, rice or even orzo pasta if you don’t have any wheat to hand, for an equally delicious salad.
This recipe is super easy to make. All you do is chop the veg, and while it roasts, prepare the other ingredients and dressing. The whole thing comes together in less than half an hour, and it’s so tasty. The tahini dressing can also be used to jazz up some plain salad leaves for an easy side salad.
Full of nutrients and delicious flavours, this Tahini Roasted Cauliflower Salad goes well with so many things. I like to pair it with some simple grilled fish, or some BBQ’d chicken thighs. However, there is so much flavour in the salad alone that you don’t need a lot to go with it. It can be served as a side, but also as a stand-alone meal which is vegetarian, and gluten-free! I hope you love it!
Tahini Roasted Cauliflower Salad
- 1 cauliflower
- 2 carrots
- 50 g dried dates
- 75 g bulgar wheat
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 lemon
- pinch cayenne pepper
- 200 g baby spinach
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 150 ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp cold water
- salt and pepper (to season)
- fresh coriander (to garnish)
- Preheat the oven to 200°C or fan 180°C. Chop the cauliflower into little florets and the carrots into small sticks. Add both to a baking tray and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper and roast for 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, finely chop the dates and add to a bowl with the bulgar wheat. Pour over the 150ml boiling water and cover the bowl with a plate. Set aside for around 15 minutes until the wheat has soaked up the water.
- To make the dressing, grate or crush the garlic into a bowl. Add the juice of the lemon and the tahini, along with the cayenne, 1 tbsp olive oil, salt and pepper and the 2 tbsp cold water. Mix until you have a smooth dressing.
- Wash the spinach leaves and then roughly shred them. Use a fork to fluff up the bulgar wheat and date mixture, then add to the spinach in a large bowl. When the veg is roasted, add to the bowl along with all the dressing. Toss well so all the ingredients are toasted, then garnish with some fresh coriander and serve.
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredients
Chop your carrots
Drizzle on a little oil and roast the veg for 25 minutes
And the cauliflower
Finely chop the dates
Add the dates, bulgar wheat and boiling water to a bowl and leave to soak
Chop the garlic and add to a bowl along with the lemon juice
Add the tahini, cayenne, olive oil and water and mix
Wash and roughly chop the spinach
Fluff up the wheat and dates with a fork
Add the spinach, wheat, and veg to a bowl and mix
Add the dressing and stir through
Serve with fresh coriander