These are my go-to cookie recipe. They come from a kid’s cookery book I have been baking from for as long as I remember and I’m yet to find a better cookie recipe. They’re fudgy, chocolatey, and contain my all-time favourite ingredient – Nutella. I may be biased, but I think Nutella improves just about any recipe. We have had to stop buying Nutella because I cannot stop myself eating it out of the jar before we can even use it for anything. However, we still get a jar whenever I’m planning on baking these cookies. And the cookies are so good that I’m even able to restrain myself long enough to use the Nutella in the mixture.
I add milk chocolate or white chocolate chunks depending on what I have in. Sometimes both! It’s really up to you. You could even add fruit or nuts if you wanted to. But in my opinion, nothing beats a chocolate cookie. There’s nothing worse than eating a raisin thinking its a chocolate chip – eugh! Alternatively, you could skip the Nutella and swap it out for peanut butter to make a nuttier version of these cookies.
I used all caster sugar in this version as it was all I had in. But for a more caramelised flavoured cookie, you can swap out half of the sugar for light soft brown sugar. The cookies will be fudgier, denser and even more delicious!
The trick to getting a soft, gooey cookie is the baking time. A common mistake is to overcook them thinking they’re underdone. However, cookies often don’t seem solid enough in the oven. This is because some of the ingredients like the butter need to re-solidify before the cookie can keep its shape. So when the time finishes, take the cookies out and leave for 5 minutes on their tray so they can harden a little before you tuck in…..if you can wait that long!
If you want a great go-to cookie recipe that will give you cookies in less than 25 minutes, try this Double Chocolate Nutella Cookie recipe. I promise you they won’t disappoint!
Double Chocolate Nutella Cookies
- 125 g unsalted butter (softened)
- 180 g caster sugar (or 90g soft brown and 90g caster)
- 1 egg
- 125 g nutella
- 200 g plain flour
- 30 g cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 3 drops vanilla extract
- pinch of salt
- 150 g chocolate chunks (of your choice)
- Preheat the oven to 180°C or fan 160°C. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy.
- Beat in the egg, Nutella and vanilla until fully mixed in.
- Sieve in the flour, baking powder and cocoa powder and stir in until combined. Stir in the chocolate chunks.
- Line a baking tray with some baking paper and spoon on 6 heaped tbsp of cookie dough per tray, making sure they're spread out.
- Bake for 14 minutes. The cookies might not seem fully cooked as they need to set. Once out of the oven, leave to set for about 5 minutes so they harden and can hold their shape before digging in!
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredients
Beat the butter and sugar until fluffy
Add the egg, vanilla and Nutella
Stir to combine
Stir in the flour
Add the chocolate chunks and stir in
Scoop onto a lined baking tray
Cook for 16 minutes at 170C
Leave to harden for at least 10 minutes
Drizzle with melted Nutella