If you have read my Special Chicken post, you will know about the origins of this name. I’ll spare you the story here, but you can just trust me on the fact that this rice is special enough to merit the title. Special Rice is a version of dirty rice, that goes really well with my Special Chicken recipe. However, it’s very versatile, and so you could have it as a side for any number of dishes, it’s up to you.
Like with Special Chicken, this recipe is a throw-together sort of dish. This means you can tailor it to whatever you have in. Go wild! experiment with new flavours and spices. Create your own version. Its really easy to make your own, just by adding whatever you fancy.
This is a really easy dish to make, and doesn’t take long at all. You can chop the vegetables while the rice cooks, and then it’s just a matter of throwing everything in a pan and stirring. It really couldn’t be easier!
- 300 g basmati rice
- 1 medium red onion
- 8 sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 spring onions
- 5 cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 " cinnamon stick
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp Cajun spice
- bunch of fresh coriander
- bunch of fresh parsley
- 1 tbsp olive oil (for frying)
- Rinse the basmati rice in a colander a few times until the water becomes clearer. Add to a pan and cover with water. Heat and simmer for 12 minutes, or until cooked.
- While the rice cooks, prepare the vegetbales. Slice the sun-dried tomatoes into thin strips, and finely slice the red onion. Finely chop the garlic and spring onions. Crush the cinnamon stick with the back of a spoon so it breaks into a few smaller pieces. Quarter the plum tomatoes.
- Once the rice is cooked, drain it, and set aside for later.
- In a little olive oil, cook the red onions on a medium heat for 5 minutes, until softened. Then add the garlic, sun dried tomatoes and cinnamon, and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Now add the spring onion, cajun spice, paprika and stir to combine. Add the cooked rice, season with salt and pepper and stir together
- To serve, scatter with the plum tomatoes and fresh coriander and parsley.
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredients
Cook the rice for 10 minutes
Chop all the vegetables and the cinnamon
Fry the red onions in a pan until soft
Then add the garlic and sun-dried tomato and cook for another 5 minutes
Then add the spring onion, along with the spices
Add the cooked rice and stir through
Serve with special chicken
Special Rice goes great with…