This recipe is another one of my favourite salads from the organic vegetable company Abel and Cole. It’s actually one of the very first salads we ever received from their weekly salad box, and it is the first dish I ever tried with aubergine. Before trying this salad, I didn’t like green beans and I didn’t like aubergine. This recipe is single-handedly responsible for introducing me to the wonders of my now favourite vegetable. We eat this Aubergine and Chickpea Teriyaki Salad by the bucketful in my family, and I’m so excited to share this recipe!
This salad has everything good. Creamy roasted aubergine, crunchy green beans, sweet red onions and crispy chickpeas. All smothered in a punchy teriyaki dressing with warm sesame flavours, and a kick of heat. It’s really addictive. And it’s super healthy too!
The recipe is fairly quick to make and very easy. All you really do is chop the vegetables, roast them, and add the dressing. It’s so simple, but so good. We like to make extra in my house, as it’s delicious cold the next day for lunch. I love a kick of heat, so I use fresh chilli, but if you don’t like spice, you can easily leave them out, or reduce the quantity.
For the teriyaki dressing, you need a teriyaki sauce. It’s pretty easy to come by, but often they are full of added sugar, which we definitely don’t want. It makes it less healthy, and the salad is plenty sweet enough from the beautiful red onions. My favourite teriyaki sauce is actually sold by Abel and Cole, and you can shop it online with the link at the bottom of this post. It lasts a while, we tend to get about 3-4 salads out of one bottle of it. But we make this salad so often, we buy this sauce constantly so we never run out of our supply.
If you want a tasty, easy salad that is packed with flavour, you have to try this Aubergine and Chickpea Teriyaki Salad.
Aubergine and Chickpea Teriyaki Salad
- 1 aubergine
- 200 g green beans
- 1 red onion
- 400 g tinned chickpeas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
For the dressing
- 1 thumb ginger
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 chilli
- 25 g sesame seeds
- 50 g teriyaki sauce
- Preheat your oven to 220°C or 200°C fan. Chop the aubergine into bite sized chunks and spread over a baking tray. Toss with half the olive oil and roast for 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the ends off the green beans, then chop them into thirds. Peel the red onion and cut into wedges. Drain and rinse the chickpeas.
- After 15 minutes, take the aubergine out of the oven. Add the chickpeas, green beans and red onion to the tray, along with the other tbsp olive oil. Toss and return to the oven for another 10-15 minutes until the vegetbales are a little crispy.
- Meanwhile, for the dressing, finely chop the chilli, ginger and garlic. Add to a bowl along with the sesame seeds and teriyaki sauce.
- Take the vegetables out of the oven and add to a large bowl along with the dressing. Stir until all the vegetbales are covered, and serve.
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredients
Chop the aubergine into bite-sized chunks
Add the aubergine to a baking tray with the olive oil and roast for 15 minutes
Chop the woody ends off the green beans
Chop the onion and the green beans
After 15 minutes, take the aubergine out the oven
Drain the chickpeas and add along with the green beans and red onions. Roast for another 10-15 minutes
For the dressing, finely chop the chilli, ginger and garlic
Add to a bowl along with the teriyaki sauce and sesame seeds
When crispy, take the vegetables out the oven
Combine the roasted vegetables with the dressing and stir to coat
Serve and enjoy!