Ok so, I’ll admit, the name of this dish did start as a bit of a joke. One night after school we tasked my dad with making something quickly out of the chicken thighs in the fridge. We were all starving, and just wanted whatever it was to be quick and easy. My dad is the sort of person who can just of throw flavours and spices together and have it work. I’m still trying to master this skill. Anyway, so this is what he did with the chicken thighs, and Special Chicken was born!
Boneless crispy chicken thighs, griddled until the skin is crispy and the chicken is tender. We have repeated this meal countless times since its creation, and as usual, my dad never measured or even used the same ingredients each time. He just threw in whatever he wanted. That made it very hard for me to actually obtain a recipe from him to put on here, but at last, I have managed it. When we made the chicken according to the recipe here, it was dubbed “the Best Special Chicken we’ve ever had” so I’m pretty happy with the final product.
That being said, you really can add whatever you want. You can swap out spices for what you have in, use a lemon instead of a lime, add more or less of each ingredient. You might even find your own version of Special Chicken that becomes your family’s recipe!
Of course, you cant have special chicken without special rice. This is our version of what you might call dirty rice. Its flavours all complement the chicken really well, and turn it from a recipe into a meal to remember. I have included the recipes separately on here, but really they should be eaten together. Both recipes are really quick and easy to make, and again you can customise the rice by adding whatever you want.
So if you are ready to give it a try, check out the recipe below. You will not regret it.
- griddle pan
- 6 chicken thighs (boneless, skin on)
- 1 tbsp cajun spice mix
- ½ tbsp garlic salt
- ½ tbsp paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp crushed chilli flakes
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 lemon/lime
- salt and pepper (to season)
- Add all the spices to a large bowl. Add the chicken thighs and mix round with a wooden spoon until they are evenly covered in spice mix.
- Zest the lemon or lime into the bowl. Then cut in half and squeeze the juice of both halves in too. Add 1 tbsp olive oil, season with salt and pepper, then mix around again to cover the chicken.
- Leave the chicken to marinate for 20 minutes or so.
- Heat a griddle pan on a medium heat. You don't need any oil as there is oil in the marinade. Place the chicken thighs skin side down on the griddle and leave to cook for 20 minutes.
- After 20 minutes, flip the thighs over and cook for another 10 minutes. After this, you can flip them back over for another 2 minutes if you like, to get the skin extra crispy.
- Serve with special rice and greek yoghurt.
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredeints
Combine the chicken thighs, spices and oil in a bowl
Add the zest of a lemon
Add the juice of a lemon, mix, and leave to marinate
After 20 minutes, griddle the chicken on medium heat for 20 minutes
Flip the chicken, and cook for another 10 minutes
Serve on top of special rice, with fresh coriander, limes and tomatoes