Ahhhh aubergine. My favourite vegetable ever. If I could only ever have one vegetable for the rest of my life, it would be aubergine. They are so delicious, so healthy and so versatile. You can make them crispy with roasted veggies or creamy in a pasta sauce. They’re good hot in a spicy curry, or cold as next day salad leftovers. I just love aubergine. And even better? Curried aubergine. A beautiful blend of spices coating the aubergine and infusing it with flavour while it roasts. Paired with crispy roast potatoes and a fiery coriander dip? A match made in heaven. This Curried Aubergine and Potato roast is the perfect combination.
This dish is a really easy one. Like with all roasted veg recipes, the prep is minimal, and the taste is incredible. The oven really does just do all the work for you. However, I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. The key is being patient. Making sure the veg is cooked to your preference is everything. For this particular dish, this means a roasting time of around 30-40 minutes, so the aubergine flesh turns creamy and soft, the potato turns fluffy, but the skins are charred and crispy. It really is delicious.
I paired the deep, hearty flavours of the curried veg with this spicy chilli coriander dip. The coolness of the yoghurt is the perfect pairing for the warm flavours of the vegetables, with a little kick of chilli, and some tangy lemon zest in there too. You can make this garlicky too if you want, just by adding some grated garlic, but I know some people aren’t a fan of garlic yoghurt, so it’s up to you. Honestly, this whole dish is just a party of flavours. But SO easy to make. Trust me. Go for it. You won’t regret it.
Curried Aubergine and Potato with Chilli Coriander Yoghurt
- 2 aubergines
- 3 medium potatoes
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp cumin seeds (or cumin powder)
- 2 tbsp ground coriander
- 1 tsp dried ginger powder
- 1 tso garlic salt
- fresh coriander (to serve )
For the yoghurt
- ¾ cup greek yoghurt
- 1 lemon
- small bunch fresh coriander
- 1 lemon
- 3 garlic cloves (optional)
- Slice the aubergine and the potatoes into 1cm thick slices. Place into a bowl and set aside.
- Toast the cumin seeds in a dry pan until fragrant. Toss every few seconds so they don't burn. Transfer into a pestle and mortar, or a spice grinder and grind until you have a fine powder. (If using cumin powder skip this step)
- To the bowl of aubergine and potato, add the cumin powder, garllic salt, ginger powder, coriander powder, and olive oil. Mix with your hands so the vegetables are evenly covered.
- Spread the aubergine and potato over a baking tray. Try to make sure they don't overlap too much – if it is too crowded, spread over two separate trays. Place in the oven at 200°C and cook for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make the yoghurt dip. Zest the lemon, and finely chop the fresh coriander and chilli. Add to a bowl with the yoghurt and the juice of half a lemon. Mix to combine. (You can add chopped garlic to this if desired).
- Check on the aubergine and potatoes. Once they are cooked and look browned, take out of the oven and carefully transfer into a dish. Season them with some salt and black pepper to taste.
- Drizzle some of the yogurt dip over the vegetables and top off with some fresh coriander.
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredients
And for the yoghurt dip
Chop the aubergine into 1cm slices
And the same with the potato
Toast the cumin seeds
And grind into a powder
Add the aubergines and potato to a bowl, and toss with the oil, cumin, coriander powder, garlic salt and ginger
Spread onto a baking tray and bake for 30 mins
For the dip, zest the lemon, and finely chop the chilli and coriander
Add to the yoghurt, along with a squeeze of lemon juice
After 30 mins, take the aubergine and potatoes out of the oven
Layer into a dish, and season with salt and black pepper
Drizzle some of the yoghurt on top, and add some fresh coriander