These are super easy to make, and taste SO much better than frozen chips, as well as being a lot healthier. We started making these a few years ago, and we literally haven’t had “normal” chips since. I don’t know if I can call them chips exactly – maybe mini crispy roasted potatoes would be a more accurate description, but its a bit of a mouthful. My dad insists on calling them “chippies” which I think gets the idea across quite well, but I just couldn’t bring myself to put that as the name of a post on here, so Easy Homemade Oven Chips it is.
There are only 5 ingredients, and you can easily alter the quantities so you can make a portion just for yourself, or make lots and lots to feed the whole family. The combination of the salted garlicky flavours on the beautifully crispy skins of the potatoes just couldn’t be any tastier. They keep really well for lunches the next day – hot or cold – if you have extra (which you probably won’t because you’ll have eaten them all).
Any meal you would have chips with, these are perfect for. We love them with fried fish, a chicken Kiev, or as a nice side with a BBQ’d steak or any other meat – it’s really up to you, but trust me when I say they’re delicious.
Easy Homemade Chips
- roasting tray
- 6 medium potatoes (any type eg. Maris Piper)
- 2 tbsp Italian mixed herbs
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil (or just 3 good glugs)
- 3 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- Chop the potatoes into small cubes, and place on a baking tray, along with the garlic cloves.
- Scatter the herbs and garlic salt over the potatoes. Drizzle some olive oil over the potatoes – approx 2 tbsp or so. Use your hands or a spoon to mix it around so all the potatoes are evenly coated with oil and herbs.
- Place in the oven at 200° C for about 15 minutes, then use a spatula or fish slice to mix them around a bit. Then place back in the oven for another 15 minutes, or until crispy and browned.
- Serve with your favourite sauce, and a nice sprinkle of sea salt.
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredients
Chop the potatoes
Spread the potatoes and garlic onto a baking tray
Scatter herbs, garlic salt, and drizzle the oil over the potatoes
Mix around the tray to ensure the potatoes are evenly coated
Roast for 15 minutes, move them around, and then roast for another 15 minutes
Serve and enjoy!