I feel like the name of this post requires some explanation. My family has always loved Jamie Oliver’s recipes. It seems he has a recipe for just about anything you can think of. No doubt the search “Jamie Oliver Chicken” would yield hundreds, if not thousands of Jamie Oliver’s recipes involving chicken. But this is our Jamie Oliver chicken. It undoubtedly was originally a recipe by him at some point, but I couldn’t tell you what book it has come from, or even which decade. We have had it planted in our brains for as long as I can remember. Even the name I have put on here is embellished somewhat. When asked what’s for dinner in my house, if one simply replies “Jamie Oliver”, we all know exactly what they refer to.
This recipe really couldn’t be easier; less than 15 minutes prep, and then all you do is let the oven cook and work its magic with the flavours. Succulent, juicy chicken thighs, infused with whole garlic cloves and punchy tomatoes, nestled on a bed of cannellini beans and potatoes which absorb all the wonderful flavours. The chicken skin goes super crispy on top and some fresh basil adds another dimension of taste to the mix. It’s just delicious. You can use any cut of chicken you liked really, leg would work well, and breast fine too. However, we find the thighs keep the moistest and juiciest.
This is a filling, hearty meal that works in all seasons. Its one of those dishes you could imagine eating outside on a Mediterranean holiday, but equally could picture wolfing down on a cold winter’s night next to a fire. The flavours work all year round. It’s also really tasty cold the next day if you fancy it for lunches. If you want a super easy meal that’s bound to taste delicious, Jamie Oliver Chicken is your best bet!
Jamie Oliver Chicken
- 2 400g cans of cannellini beans
- 700 g baby tomatoes
- 6 skin-on chicken thighs (can have bone in or out)
- 12 garlic cloves (unpeeled)
- 400 g potatoes
- 1 tbsp crushed chilli flakes
- handful basil leaves
- drizzle of olive oil
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 170°C. Layer the cannellini beans across the bottom of an oven-proof casserole dish. Chop the tomatoes into quarters and layer on top of the beans.
- Peel the potatoes and chop into 1 inch chunks. Place the chicken thighs on top of the tomatoes and nestle the potato chunks in between them.
- Add the garlic cloves to any more gaps you can find. Top with a sprinkle of chilli flakes, a generous drizzle of olive oil and the fresh basil.
- Place in the oven for 1 hour, then remove and spoon some of the liquid over the chicken. Return to the oven for another half hour until the chicken skin is crispy. Serve each person 1 thigh and spoon over the other ingredients and the juice. Enjoy!
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredients
Layer the cannellini beans across the bottom of an ovenproof dish
Chop the tomatoes into quarters
Layer on top of the beans
Peel the potatoes and chop into 1-inch pieces
Lay the chicken thighs on top
Nestle the potatoes and garlic in between the chicken and sprinkle on chilli flakes
Add basil leaves on top and a generous drizzle of olive oil
Cook in an oven at 170C for 1.5 hours. Baste with juices after the first hour