Summer is around the corner. The season of salads, refreshing drinks, and BBQ’s is upon us. However, in this country, the weather is often quite unpredictable. Your perfectly planned outdoor dinner can often be ruined by unruly rain patterns. Fear not, however, as I have a recipe here that will solve your problems. This recipe, which can be cooked on a BBQ, is adapted so that you can have BBQ-esque chicken, from the comfort of your kitchen. Not only that, but these Lemon Charred Chicken Kebabs are marinated in a beautiful blend of herbs and spices that gives them a beautiful, summery, Mediterranean flavour.
To get that BBQ style charr, you need to set your grill to the highest heat possible. Then you blast the chicken pieces under the grill at the high heat, for a fairly short amount of time. This gives you artfully, almost blackened pieces of chicken, yet that are tender and moist inside. Another trick I have found is the action of separating the pieces a little on the skewer. This allows the edges to crisp up on all sides, which I think makes them taste even better.
I have just done plain chicken ones here, but you can add any vegetables you like to these kebabs. Onions and peppers are the classics, but chunky cauliflower pieces would char deliciously. When using a grill, you don’t technically need to use the skewers. I like them for serving, but you can just put the meat straight on a grill rack if you want to save on washing up.
These Lemon Charred Chicken Kebabs are bound to be a new favourite. For a refreshing and easy kebab recipe, perfect for summer nights (or winter nights that you want to pretend are summer), check them out!
Lemon Charred Chicken Kebabs
- 2 large chicken breasts (or 4 small ones)
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dukkah
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 tsp garlic granules
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- a bunch of fresh parsley (to serve)
- Chop the chicken into large chunks.
- To a large bowl, add all the dried herbs, along with the salt and the olive oil. Zest the lemon, and add to the bowl, then cut it in half and juice in half of the lemon. Finely chop or mince the garlic and add this too.
- Add the chicken chunks and stir together until the chicken is all coated. Cover the bowl in cling film and leave to marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes (or up to overnight if you wish).
- Preheat your grill to the highest setting. After marinating, add 5-6 chicken chunks to each of your skewers. Place under the grill for around 7 minutes, or until charred on the top. Then take out from the grill, and carefully turn the skewers over. Place back under the grill for another 4-5 minutes until that side is charred too.
- Remove from the grill. Make sure the chicken is cooked by cutting open a piece and ensuring it is white all the way through. Serve with greek yoghurt and bread of your choice.
Method in Pictures
Gather your ingredients
Chop the chicken into 2" chunks
Finely chop the garlic
Zest the lemon
To your bowl, add the chicken, the dried herbs, the olive oil, the lemon zest and the garlic
Add the juice of half the lemon
Mix together so the chicken is coated, then cover and leave to marinate in the fridge for 20 minutes
Turn your grill to high, and add your chicken pieces to a skewer.
Place under the grill for 8 minutes
After 8 minutes, turn the kebabs over and grill for another 5 minutes. The skewer will be hot so take care
Garnish with fresh parsley and serve with greek yoghurt and flatbread